Assignments are used as graded items in conjunction with the Gradebook. Each assignment has an optional Dropbox, where students can submit files and where you can view, edit, grade, and comment on assignments. Assignments can also be given a Due Date, which will automatically display the assignment in the Calendar and Upcoming areas for all members.
To create an assignment, use the Add Materials button located at the top of your Course Profile. You can also access the Add Materials button from within a folder. Follow these steps:
- Select the Add Materials dropdown menu and click Add Assignment.
- Fill out the Assignment form.
- Enter a Description (optional).
- We recommend that you set a Due Date so the assignment appears in the Course Calendar and User Calendar.
- Check Drop Box to enable/disable the function (optional)
- To grade this assignment in the Gradebook, you must select a category other than (Ungraded).
- Click Create to complete.
Note: Assignments can also be created within course folders, or added to folders after their creation.
Copy to Course
An assignment can be copied to other courses, and different due dates and grading options can be specified. You can copy an assignment to other courses while you create and assignment, or right after.
The assignment submissions are located in the right column of the Assignment Profile. It can also be reached by clicking the Assignment listed in the Calendar. You can use this area to manage files that have been submitted by students.
Submitted files are split into On Time and Late areas based on the assignment Due Date. You can download or view each individual file, or you can download all assignments in a bulk .zip file.
The Document Viewer allows you edit and annotate student assignment submissions directly through your Schoology account. To use the Document Viewer, click on a submission.
In the Document Viewer, you have the ability to:
- Comment and discuss in the right column
- Link a file to the comment/discussion feed
- Highlight selected text
- Comment in the document
- Strikeout selected text
- Draw on the document
- Grade the assignment
- Download the file and save it on your computer
- Return the annotated/graded assignment to the student just by clicking Save Changes
Note: Our Doc Viewer supports the following file types—.doc, .docx, .html, .odt, .pdf, .rtf, .text, .ppt, .pptx, .swf, .xls, .xlsx, .mp3, .mp4, .mov, .wav, .wmv and many more. It will not support .heic files (air-dropped files).
The Dropbox Doc Viewer feature allows you to ‘return’ assignments to students simply by clicking the Save Changes button in the bottom right corner of document. If you use a third-party annotation program, you can use the File link on the lower left of the comment box to Post your revisions to the student's assignment.
Grades inputted in the Grade field of the Document Viewer will automatically sync with your Gradebook. The comments you add in this form will automatically sync with Gradebook. You can also navigate to the your Gradebook using the left column.
Use Advanced Options from the Gear Icon in the upper right to turn on/off the following features:
- Published—show the assignment to students
- Enable Comments—allow students to comment on the assignment
- Grade Statistics—show the statistics for the assignments to students, which is located in an icon above Dropbox