Turnitin currently accepts the following file types for upload into an assignment:
- Microsoft Word™ (DOC and DOCX)
- Corel WordPerfect®
- Adobe PostScript®
- Plain text (TXT)
- Rich Text Format (RTF)
- Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT, PPTX, and PPS)
- Hangul (HWP)
For assignments that accept any file types the following image file types can be displayed and rendered in the Document Viewer:
All other file types that are not one of file formats listed above will be accepted by Turnitin when the assignment is set to "Accept Any File Type" but the file may not be displayed in the Document Viewer. When files cannot be displayed in the Document Viewer instructors are still able to download the original file from the Document Viewer.
Some other important notes:
- The file size may not exceed 20MB. Files of larger size may be reduced in size by removal of non-text content or the instructor may be contacted to request multiple assignments to submit the document in sections. Text only files may not exceed 2 MB.
- PDF documents must contain text to be submitted. PDF files containing only images of text will be rejected during the upload attempt. Have students ensure text exists in their PDF by using OCR software to create the PDF. To determine if a document contains actual text, copy and paste a section or all of the text into a plain-text editor such as Microsoft Notepad or Apple TextEdit. If no text is copied over, the selection is not actual text.
- Non-text information that is not saved directly within the document will not be included in a file upload. This includes references to a Microsoft Excel® spreadsheet included within a Microsoft Office Word document.