The Tech Department sees countless computer and hard drive crashes every year, so it is crucial that you back up the contents of your computer. We know it can be tedious to continuously transfer files to an external hard drive, so here are some instructions on how you can automatically back up to Google Drive.
While all folders on Google Drive are saved to the cloud, documents located on your Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. are not automatically saved to the cloud. To back up your Windows PC to Google Drive:
- Create a backup folder in Google Drive (ex: shwang_backup16).
- Within the backup folder, create sub-folders respective to the ones in your file explorer (ex: Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc.).
- From your file explorer, right click on a folder you want to backup.
- Select Properties.
- Click on the Location tab.
- Click Move.
- Select the respective destination backup folder previously created in Google Drive.
- Click Apply.
- Click Yes to move all folders.
- Repeat steps 3-10 for the rest of your folders.