Labels are helpful to navigate an email account, but having Gmail automatically label emails as they arrive saves time and allows you to quickly identify the emails that are important to you. Follow these steps to automatically apply a label to incoming messages:
- While logged into your Bishop O'Dowd email account, click on the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner, then click the button See all settings.
- Click the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab, then click on Create a new filter towards the bottom of the page.
- On this screen, enter the parameters of the emails that you would like to be automatically labeled.
Typically, you would enter an email address (like a coach's or a teacher's email) or an expected subject line (like Announcement).
- Click Create Filter.
- From the checklist, select Apply the label and choose which label you would like to automatically apply.
Note: You can select as many options as you'd like.
- When you're finished, click Create Filter.
From now on, any email that meets the criteria you entered will automatically be filtered with the label you selected.