Some heavier users may prefer to have Google Chat installed on their desktop instead of working with Chat through their email. This allows for Chat to be active even when the browser is closed. Follow these instructions to download the desktop application:
Install the Desktop App
- Navigate to https://chat.google.com/. If you are not already logged into Google with your school email, log in now.
- In the URL bar, a small symbol will appear to install. (It looks like a computer monitor and a down arrow.) Click it, then click Install.
- The chat window will automatically open as a separate app and install a shortcut on your desktop.
Open the Desktop App Upon Startup
Note: This is optional, recommended for heavy Google Chat users.
If you would like Google Chat to automatically open when you turn on your computer, follow these steps:
- Open Google Chrome.
- In the navigation bar, enter chrome://apps and hit enter. You will see a list of all applications associated with Chrome.
- Right click on Google Chat and click "Start app when you sign in".
For information on how to use Google Chat's desktop application, click here.